Gerry Niewood—jazz saxophonist and flutist, band leader and long-time sideman to Chuck Magione, Eastman graduate—was a victim of the February 12, 2009, crash of Flight 3407 near Buffalo (along with Coleman Mellett of Mangione's band). He was scheduled to perform with Mangione's band Friday in Buffalo. He came to play in Rochester pretty often; I heard him at the Strathallan in 2007.
Others have already written so much about him, I'll just point you to them (and the many comments that accompany them) and some other places you can go:
- Listen to Niewood on his MySpace page.
- Gerry Niewood's page on ArtistDirect.
- Ron Netsky has an obituary for Niewood and Mellett up on Rochester City Newspaper.
- Jason Crane adds his thoughts, plus links to interviews he has done with Gerry Niewood and his son Adam.
- Although he grew up in Rochester, Niewood was a long-time resident of Glen Ridge, NJ. A local site has their perspective (especially in the comments).
- Over at JazzCorner.com's "Speakeasy" forum, here's the thread on Niewood's death.
- Gerry's son, Adam, left a message on Facebook about his father's death.