As one of the main aims of this blog is to promote the expansion of live jazz music in Rochester and its environs, I welcome the opportunity to interact with and support the many and diverse local artists who play jazz music here, and the club and restaurant owners, music promoters, and other people involved in the live music and jazz scene in Rochester. I would like to have a continuing conversation with you in these pages and elsewhere to learn (and help my audience to learn) more about jazz in Rochester, its current state, its history, connections with other artists, and thoughts on the future of live jazz in our community.
A Few Ground Rules
- I will attempt to cover as much of the live jazz in Rochester and the surrounding areas by looking to a number of sources. I am also interested in gigs that are not being advertised or listed in these sources, so please let me know about them when you don't see them in these pages. I can add them on the fly (although ones added after a post is published may not get as wide a distribution).
- This blog is a personal journey and more in the nature of a hobby than a job (I have one of those). It is not a listing service. I reserve the right to refuse to post announcements for gigs or other information you provide. When I do this I will try to be up front with you, but please don't take it personally.
- I want to form connections to live jazz that may be heard in all the diverse communities in Rochester. I realize that venues and the media in Rochester often ignore these communities and want to provide whatever small voice this blog can to increase the range of their voices. Please feel free to engage me through the email link found on the blog if you think your voice and music is not being heard.
- I have a day job and life and it is possible that sometimes I'll just miss getting an announcement into the blog. It will happen and, when it does, it is inadvertent.
- I am not a journalist. My goal is to let my readers draw their own conclusions about jazz and its various genres. Sure there are players and types of jazz I prefer, but I am not the "jazz police" ... except when I am.
Join Our Email Lists!
I would love it if you would add your name to our email lists for Rochester area jazz artists and groups, or for venues presenting and others who promote live jazz in our area. Just click on the relevant link below:
- Join Jazz@Rochester's ROC Jazz Artist & Group Email List
- Join Jazz@Rochester's Venue and Promoter Email List
If you'd also like to receive an email when Jazz@Rochester posts, including the weekly post on live jazz listings in and around Rochester, then you can do so by clicking here.