As recently announced by the Xerox Rochester International Jazz Festival, a new course “Introduction to Jazz History” will be offered by the Eastman School of Music for those attending the jazz festival concerts who want to “go deeper” into the roots of jazz. Offered in the afternoons the week of June 13-17th, the course will be taught by jazz pianist, Paul Hofmann, who is a graduate of Eastman and instructor in the Eastman Community Music School. The non-credit course is offered as an Eastman School of Music Summer Institute and is open to all interested adults and to students who are already matriculated at a college.
Each of the five days will highlight (in chronological/historical order) a particular style/era of jazz including some of the major personalities and works:
- Day One: Early New Orleans Jazz, including the Jazz Age (1920s); Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, etc.
- Day Two: The Swing Era (1930s), including Benny Goodman, Count Basie, Art Tatum, etc.
- Day Three: Modern Jazz, part one (1940s and early 1950s), including Bebop (Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, Thelonious Monk, Bud Powell) and other schools which were offshoots form that (Lennie Tristano, Dave Brubeck, Bill Evans, etc.)
- Day Four: Modern Jazz, part two (mid 1950 through late 1960s), including Sonny Rollins, Miles Davis, Gil Evans, Ornette Coleman, John Coltrane, Jackie McLean, Charles Mingus
- Day Five: Jazz since 1970, including Chamber Jazz (especially the West German record label ECM), Jazz-Rock (Weather Report, Herbie Hancock, and Chick Corea, Pat Metheny Group) and the resurgence of Hard Bop (Wynton Marsalis)
While not a complete history of jazz and clearly sticking to history, not the present, this should be a good introduction to those of you who want to learn more. ESM says no prior knowledge of jazz needed, just a general love of and interest in the music. No materials required either. You are encouraged to apply immediately as the course is limited by the capacity of Hatch Hall.
Here are the particulars:
- Introduction to Jazz History
- June 13-17 (Monday-Friday), 1-2:30 p.m
- Room: Hatch Hall
- Tuition: $180/noncredit
- CRN 19779
- Adults only
To register for this class, fill out and send in the form on the XRIJF website's press room. Note: No housing available. Registration only available for the full five-day course. Application forms should be mailed to: Registrar’s Office Eastman School of Music, (XRIJF Intro to Jazz History), 26 Gibbs Street, Rochester, NY 14604-2599.