Jose DaCosta, promoter of the Exodus to Jazz series, has announced the second season of this great series. DaCosta has been bringing rising stars and established jazz artists to Rochester to play in the intimate setting at the VENU Resto Club since 2005. This year's Series continues the tradition of great jazz with some returning artists as well as some new names and will end with a piano “heavyweight” match on December 8, 2007 that will be a major highlight of the season. Here's the lineup (you can read more about the artists and the series at the Exodus To Jazz site):
- September 8, 2007—Paradigm Shift & Company featuring vocalist Annie Sellick
- September 21 & 22, 2007—Dena DeRose Trio
- September 29, 2007—Eric Person & Meta-Four
- October 20, 2007—Jazzberry Jam
- October 27, 2007—Sylvia Cuenca Group & the First Year Anniversary party of the Exodus To Jazz series
- November 3, 2007—Mulgrew Miller
- December 1, 2007—Tamir Hendelman
- December 8, 2007—“Heavy-weight Match” - Johnny O’Neal versus Mulgrew Miller
- December 15, 2007—Denise Thimes Quartet
This year almost all of the shows in the Series are on Saturdays. All shows have two sets, with the first starting at 7:00 pm and second at 9:15 pm and will again be in the intimate setting downstairs at the VENU Resto-Lounge & Nightclub, located at 151 St. Paul Street, Rochester.
Tickets can be purchased in advance are through www.TicketWeb.com (search for “Artist’s Name” or “Exodus To Jazz”) or purchased at the door, night of show.
I saw Mulgrew at Joe Siegel's Jazz Showcase in Chicago last year and look forward to seeing him, twice, and the other artists in this great series. Come out and support this series and keep them coming to town!