Well, the recent weather situation here in Rochester sort of put me off track. I was writing the Take Five Friday post and after coming home and shoveling for what seemed hours, my back ached and I didn't remember to finish and publish the post on Friday (this is becoming a trend...). Well since it's the holidays and I'll be visiting the wife's family on Friday, by executive fiat this post is likely going to serve as your Take Five Friday post for both December 19th and December 26th (who knows, I may relent). We'll get back on schedule in 2009....
- Straight, No Chaser Blog is doing a Top Ten Jazz Christmas Albums Countdown starting with this December 10th post, to be completed this weekend, I think.
- On NPR's Take Five sampler, they're letting you listsen to Cajun Carols: New Orleans Christmas Jazz
- Also from NPR is this broadcast of a Jazz Piano Christmas 2008 for you to give a listen, with Arturo O'Farrill, Ellis Marsalis, Eliane Elias, Angel Echevarria, and Rebeca Mauleon.
- Check out the Swingin' Christmas station on AccuJazz.com.
- While I can get into some Vince Guaraldi as much as the next guy, and have 3 or 4 other LPs and CDs with holiday jazz, I think my favorite his Blue Note's Yule Be Boppin' with some hep cat stuff on Cool Yule from Kurt Elling, Bob Dorough reprising his bit with Miles on Blue Xmas. and cuts from Pat Martino, Joe Lovano, Charlie Hunter, Elaine Elias and a host of others.
Sorry, but I couldn't find anything exciting jazz-wise for Hanukkah. If you're aware of something nifty, I encourage you to tell us about it in the comments to this post.
So take five and explore. Let me know what you think in the comments ....There will be five more next week. Have a Yule that's cool....