Exodus to Jazz, the series of jazz shows that brings both up-and-coming jazz greats and the greats themselves to play for us here in Rochester has announced its 2009 line-up through May. From the finish of ETJ's "Latin Heat" group of shows through the end, the line-up is all artists who you are familiar with, but each with its own special twist. ETJ promoter Jose DaCosta is also changing the format some, in a way I think will make each an even more enjoyable evening of jazz:
- January 30th: Gabriel Alegria’s Afro-Peruvian Sextet at the Clarion Riverside Hotel. Alegria and his great group of instruments returns to Rochester and brings his distinctive sounds (and
- March 27th: “Sung with Words”—The Helen Sung Trio with Dana Gioia at the Clarion Riverside Hotel. Pianist Sung returns to ETJ with a concept reflecting her willingness to take risks while remaining firmly grounded in jazz tradition, by teaming up with poet Dana Gioia, former NEA Chairman. Dana Gioia’s use of his "instrument" will include narrative featuring the poetry of Langston Hughes, Gwendolyn Brooks and others.
- April 24th: "Person to Person" with Eric Person & Meta Four, with Houston Person at the Clarion Riverside Hotel. Alto/soprano saxophonist Eric Person came by in September 2007 and showed us his chops and his creative compositions. He will be joined by his father Houston Person, who is considered by many the natural heir to the Boss Tenor crown with a style in the Gene Ammons/Stanley Turrentine tradition.
- May 21st: The Tamir Hendelman Trio with Terell Stafford at the Hyatt Regency Rochester. Hendelman was here at ETJ in December 2007 ETJ engagement, and has since maintained an active schedule with the Jeff Hamilton Trio, the Clayton-Hamilton Jazz Orchestra and recordings with acclaimed vocalists including Natalie Cole’s recent CD release. For ETJ, he is joined by trumpeter Stafford, who has has been integral to groups led by Bobby Watson, Cedar Waldon, Herbie Mann, Jon Faddis and Wynton Marsalis.
- A new date will be announced for the Brazilian jazz of Susan Pereira & Sabor Brasil to replace their Dec. 19th engagement canceled due to snow.
Here's the final twist. Each show will start at 8:00 pm (doors open at 7:00 pm), but unlike previous ETJ shows will be two one-hour sets with a 30-minuted intermission, rather than one at 8:00 pm and a separate one at 10:00 pm as were offered in the past. By taking this approach, DaCosta hopes to give audience members a chance to really get their fill of great jazz and also mix and enjoy each other's company between sets.
Reserved seats are $25 (table seating for 2 to 4 people, assigned based on receipt of ticket order); General Admission seats for $20 (table and theatre style seating on a “first come, first served” basis). Students get a 50% discount on tickets purchased at door with valid student ID. Advance purchase tickets at TicketWeb.com, e-mail order to ExodusToJazz@aol.com, or call (585) 733-7685.