While I'm writing less this year, due to the participation of Xerox and the work of the jazz festival staff, the mainstream media in Rochester has really stepped up their coverage of the Rochester International Jazz Festival this year. Starting with the press conference in April there has been a lot more local media interest in the festival over previous years. Additionally, in the interim the media are also using blogs, Twitter and other social media tools to get their content out among us. Additionally, there are probably a lot of coverage in other media outlets, blogs and other media. I'll try to help connect you to the reviews and commentary from this spectrum of sources. Here are some links about Day Two of the festival from local media:
- Democrat & Chronicle, Trio elevates low sounds of bass (Jack Garner)
- D&C, King of Hammond organ shares stage at Kilbourn (Jeff Spevak)
- D&C, Thousands jam-pack venues on second day of jazz festival (Anna Reguero)
- City Newspaper, ROCHESTER JAZZ FESTIVAL 2009 BLOG: Day 2: Joey DeFrancesco, Nordic Connect (Ron Netsky)
- City Newspaper, ROCHESTER JAZZ FESTIVAL 2009 BLOG: Day 2: SMV, Eddy "The Chief" Clearwater, Erin Bode, Jon Cleary (Frank De Blase)
- City Newspaper, ROCHESTER JAZZ FESTIVAL 2009 BLOG: Day 2: Liane Carroll, SMV (Saby Reyes-Kulkarni)
- City Newspaper, ROCHESTER JAZZ FESTIVAL 2009 BLOG: Day 2: Papa Grows Funk, Tim Posgate's Banjo Hockey (Dale Evans)
For now, I've only found one blog post on Day 2, but there may be more that pop up and I'll try to add them here:
- Into The Light Filled Void, Pop Wars (here's the post for Day One from Pop Wars), from the folks who bring you a great local site The Refrigerator, which also will have some great images from this and previous years' RIJFs as well).
- A video of trumpeter Terrell Stafford playing with festival honcho and saxophonist John Nugent at the XRIJF afterhours.