I think this is a first for me for the Rochester International Jazz Festival.... According to my "itinerary" found in these pages so far, it is not until this, the fifth night, that I enter the Kilbourn Hall venue. Kilbourn is usually where I start my festival and return often as this venue usually has some of my "must sees" for the festival. There's some great talent in there this year, but I've seen many of them, so have opted elsewhere. This is also the first night I'm going to the Kodak Eastman Theater to see a headliner.
Here are my picks for the fifth night of the Xerox Rochester International Jazz Festival, Tuesday, June 15th:
- Russell Malone Quartet @ Kilbourn Hall, ESM, 6:00 pm. I'll get a beer and get in line and it will be just like old times. I'm looking forward to hearing Russell Malone as I've heard good things about his playing. Malone has played with a lot of people, including the B3 organ jazzman Jimmy Smith, Ron Carter's Golden Stryker Trio, a long period in Dianna Krall's touring band, and a stint with Ray Connick Jr's Big Band. Here's his website on Verve, which focuses on his most recent work. I also found a video of Malone and his Quartet at Smoke in NYC last year to give you a flavor of his playing.
- I'll probably catch some of my buddy Jimmie Highsmith Jr's first set at the festival on the City of Rochester Jazz Street Stage and a bite to eat (and another beer) before heading over to the Big House for ....
- Herbie Hancock @ Kodak Hall At Eastman Theatre, 8:00 pm. According to the Democrat & Chronicle, Herbie Hancock's show will be focused on his latest experiment, the Imagine Project where Hancock travels the globe with a camera crew playing with musical stars from around the world. Of course, Hancock won the Best Jazz Album Grammy Award in 2008 with his recording of songs by Joni Mitchell songs, The River: The Joni Letters, on which a number of great Joni Mitchell songs were given treatments with Wayne Shorter and a host of other guest artists. You can find out more about Herbie Hancock through his website, MySpace page. National Public Radio's Patrick Jarenwattananon wrote a "teaser" post on the Imagine Project on their blog A Blog Supreme, which includes a video that itself features Seal, Pink, Jeff Beck, Konono No. 1, Lionel Loueke, Ceu, Dave Matthews, Lisa Hannigan, Derek Trucks, Susan Tedeschi, Chaka Khan, Tinariwen, The Chieftains, Marcus Miller, Wayne Shorter, Oumou Sangare, Juanes, James Morrison.The Imagine Project is set to release shortly after the XRIJF on June 21st. Hancock is a chameleon and with each project reinvents and tries something new. I'm looking forward to what he's bringing to Rochester.
- Sicilian Jazz Project @ Viva Italia Series at the The Rochester Club, 10:00 pm. I really enjoyed these guys last year and intend to break my rule and go hear them again this year (I also want to check out the new venue at least once). If they do it again, I may miss the march into the venue with the Sicilian fisherman working chant, but the musicianship and cross-cultural sounds of Michael Occhipinti is worth a second listen. But don't just take my word for it. You can check them out on the Project's website, MySpace page, Facebook page, and in a video of them performing the song Favi Amari live in (where else?) Modica, Sicily/
2010 Jazz in Sweden artist Samuel Hllkvist and his group Samuel Hllkvist Center will be playing at the Church of the Reformation at 7:30 and 9:30 pm. You might also check out the Canadian Francois Bourassa Quartet at 6:30 or 9:00 pm in the Xerox Auditorium. I'd also like to hear some of Rosie Ledet & the Zydeco Playboys if I can get over to Abilene.
In addition to the great high school jazz groups that appear on the Jazz Street Stage starting around 4:30 pm, other Rochester-area jazz artists (most of which have a link on my page for local artists) and Eastman School of Music event that will be occurring on Tuesday include:
- Matt Valerio @ Central Library of Rochester and Monroe County, Noon
- Eastman Jazz Performance Workshop Honors Unit 3 @ City of Rochester Jazz Street Stage, 6:00 pm.
- Trio Slaye with Chris Ziemba @ Verizon Wireless Festival Big Tent, 6:00 pm.
- Bill Dobbins Trio with Chuck Israels & Rich Thompson @ Max of Eastman Place, 6:15 & 10:00 pm.
- Jimmie Highsmith Jr. @ City of Rochester Jazz Street Stage, 7:15 & 9:15 pm.