The preparations for the Xerox Rochester International Jazz Festival, which begins in just 4 days, became more visible today as the Verizon Wireless Big Tent was erected in its usual place across Main from the Eastman Theater. The XRIJF also released it's Festival Goers' Guide, with some details on the particulars, another sign it is just around the corner. I have three more posts after this, so will be right up to the wire in doing these previews. My time out of town cut it a bit too close this year....
Here are my picks for the sixth night of the Xerox Rochester International Jazz Festival, Wednesday, June 16th:
- Steve Turré Quartet @ Kilbourn Hall, ESM, 6:00 pm. I saw Turré at then Milestones (or perhaps whatever the next incarnation) a few years back and wasn't able to stay for the whole set, so will enjoy hearing this great trombonist (and shell blower) play at Kilbourn. His playing is so much more than the conch. Turré is one of the top trombone blowers in the jazz world. You can get some more background on him at his website and in this interview (albeit a bit dated) on the Online Trombone Journal I selected a video of a Turré solo with the Quartet, which will give you an idea of what I'm talking about.
- Eivind Opsvik Overseas @ Nordic Jazz Now @ Lutheran Church Of The Reformation, 7:30. Opsvik is more a New Yorker than I am having lived in NYC for the past 10 years, but his roots are in Norway. I took a listen to some cuts on his MySpace page and will head over to the Church to check out his Overseas project. You can find out more by visiting Opsvik's website, Myspace page, and check out the video of a cut the Overseas CD release party.
- Depending on the likelihood of a line at my next stop, I may drop in on Das Contras at the Verizon Wireless Festival Big Tent for a bit after leaving the Church
- Grace Kelly Quintet @ Montage, 10:00 pm. OK, this girl (have to call her that, she's not old enough to be in the Montage any other time) has some serious chops on saxophone (that would include tenor, soprano and alto), as well as piano, some clarinet, flute, drums, and bass. She recorded an album in 2008 with Lee Konitz, for gawds sake at the ripe old age of 16. That disc was named one of the best CDs of the 2000s (not 2008, the 2000s...) in Downbeat. Oh, and she sings as well?!. Find out more about this prodigy and listen to some of her playing on her website, MySpace page, a profile in JazzTimes and a blog post by Ted Gioia on Jazz.com. Found a video of her with the Quintet from the Saratoga Jazz Festival last year (oh, and by the way, she wrote it) and a "Highlights" video. She tweets (not on the sax), too.
Others you might want to catch if my picks don't seem to fit include:
- The headliners John Pizzarelli with the Woody Herman Orchestra directed by Frank Tiberi @ Kodak Hall At Eastman Theatre, 8:00 pm.
- You'll also have yet another chance (an unprecedented, I think, third night) to see Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue @ Harro East Ballroom, 5:30 & 7:15 (see links in the post for the 4th night).
- Pianist John Taylor @ Made In The UK Series at Christ Church, 6:45 and 8:45 pm.
- The Rochester/Roland All-Star Accordion Jam! @ Xerox Auditorium at Xerox Plaza, 9:00 pm. The name itself makes me want to go to this. I still may, but just too much vying this night.
- If you're into some great, high-energy punk bluegrass, check out the Hackensaw Boys at Abilene, 7:45 and 9:45 pm. I saw them at Milestones a few years back and they're a lot of fun and some great musicians.
In addition to the great high school jazz groups that appear on the Jazz Street Stage starting around 4:30 pm, other Rochester-area jazz artists (most of which have a link on my page for local artists) and Eastman School of Music event that will be occurring on Wednesday include:
- Mike Kaupa @ Central Library of Rochester and Monroe County, Noon
- ESM-XRIJF Jazz Scholarship Alumni @ City of Rochester Jazz Street Stage, 6:00 pm
- Bill Tiberio Band @ Verizon Wireless Festival Big Tent, 6:00 pm
- New Horizons Big Band @ City of Rochester Jazz Street Stage, 7:15 pm
- Eastman Youth Jazz Orchestra @ City of Rochester Jazz Street Stage, 9:15