I'm running out of time and steam, and my nose is otherwise to the grindstone, so to end up where I want to be by Friday, when this party gets started I'm condensing my picks for the last two days of the Xerox Rochester International Jazz Festival into this post. I'm going to just give you the picks and a couple of links (and not drone on about them as much—sure you won't mind).
The links below on the artists' name in bold will take you to the artist's page on the XRIJF site. I've mined a few sources and video (in addition to those on the XRIJF site) from the Interwebs to help you decide whether you want to join me (figuratively, that is...) on Friday and Saturday, June 17th and 18th, at the Xerox Rochester International Jazz Festival:
- Kenny Barron Trio @ Kilbourn Hall, 6:00 pm (also 10:00 pm): Getting some of that good old trio sound from this master of the piano. Here is a video of a 2002 concert in Italy with Ron Carter and Billy Cobham on If I Were A Bell.
- Tonbruket @ Nordic Jazz Now at Lutheran Church of the Reformation, 7:30 pm (also 9:30 pm): This band was formed by the bassist for the great Scandanavian group E.S.T., which is no more after the untimely death of Ejsbjörn Svensson in 2008. Here is a video of Tonbruket playing Song For "E", a tribute to the late pianist Svenssoon at the Between the Beats Festival last year.
- Jonas Kullhammar Quartet @ Xerox Auditorium at Xerox Plaza, 9:00 pm (also 6:30 pm): Swedish saxophonist Jonas Kulhammar has been to the Rochester festival a number of times now, playing most of the venues on offer. Here is some video of the Quarte from 2010 at the Sigurdsgatan 25 club in Sweden (a two-parter, here and here, unfortunately you'll have to wait until you see him to get the jokes).
- In The Country @ Montage, 10:00 pm (also 6:00 pm): The Nordic Jazz Now series is pretty popular so the groups appearing for the series often turn up in other venues. I think I missed In the Country, a trio out of Norway in a previous visit to the XRIJF in 2007, but you can watch them performing in the Reformation Lutheran church here. You can listen to their music through their site and their MySpace page.
As I went to college in the early 1980s, Elvis Costello & the Imposters have been in my musical life for a long time and I'd love to go hear him in the Big House, but it's sold out and they won't likely even let me take a peek. I doubt he will get thrown out of the place like the last time he was in ROC. Also would like to hear the soul sounds of the Ryan Shaw Band or Jason Yarde & Andrew McCormack "MY DUO" at the Christ Church Made In The UK Series. If you're ready to party, Trombone Shorty is back to bring the funk on the City of Rochester East Ave. & Chestnut St.
- Regina Carter @ Kilbourn Hall, 6:00 pm (also 10:00 pm): I love where artists bring in other traditions into their music and I've yet to hear the violinist perform, so I'm looking forward to Regina Carter bringing her "Reverse Thread" project to the Kilborn Hall stage. The project weaves African influences, including the kora (which is missing from this year's festival). Here's four minutes of the title track and Carter's "Tiny Desk Concert" for National Public Radio.
- Po' Boys Brass Band @ City of Rochester Jazz Street Stage Presented by The Community Foundation, 7:15 pm (also 9:15 pm): Glad it worked out so I could take another detour from my usual avoidance of local bands as I have not caught the Po' Boys in quite awhile and have missed most of their previous appearances at the festival. Here they are performing at last year's XRIJF.
- The Budos Band @ Verizon Wireless Festival Big Tent, 8:30 pm (also at 10:00 pm): Keeping the brass heavy theme (gotta love a band with two baris) going, I'll be catching this band from Staten Island that mixes up the influences to bring on a groove. Here they are at last year's at a program recorded during last year's Bumbershoot festival in Seattle doing Black Venom. Listen to more on their MySpace page.
- Ben Allison 3 @ Montage, 10:00 pm (also at 6:00 pm): Ben Allison's trio will be a welcome cooling off period after the previous two picks and a great way to close out the festival. I tend to do that at Montage for some reason.... Here is Ben playing trio at one of my favorite haunts in Chicago, the Green Mill.
You might also want to catch local Dave Rivello Ensemble or a more intimate set with the Jonas Kullhammar Quartet at Max of Eastman Place if you missed them on the 17th (or if you, like many at the RIJF are big fans of Kulhammar...).
Local & Regional Talent
As Jazz@Rochester exists to highlight the great jazz talent we have living and working in and around Rochester (you can find some of their links on my Rochester Jazz Artists page), I'm highlighting the local artists appearing on stages each night. Here are the ones for Tuesday, June 16th:
Local and Regional, June 17th:
- Jimmie Highsmith Jr. @ Central Library of Rochester & Monroe County, noontime concert
- High School Jazz Bands @ City of Rochester Jazz Street Stage Presented by The Community Foundation, starting 4:30
- New Energy Big Band @ Verizon Wireless Festival Big Tent, 6:00 pm
- Prime Time Funk @ City of Rochester Jazz Street Stage Presented by The Community Foundation, 9:15 pm
Local and Regional, June 18th:
- Youth Jam Session with Eastman Jazz Faculty @ Room 120 Eastman School of Music, 2:00 pm
- High School Jazz Bands @ City of Rochester Jazz Street Stage Presented by The Community Foundation, starting 3:45
- Dan Schmitt & The Shadows @ Verizon Wireless Festival Big Tent, 6:00 pm
- The Lawnmowers @ City of Rochester Jazz Street Stage Presented by The Community Foundation, 6:00 pm:
- Dave Rivello Ensemble @ Xerox Auditorium at Xerox Plaza, 6:30 (also 9:00 pm):
- Chris Beard Band @ City of Rochester East Ave. & Chestnut St. Stage Presented by Rochester General, 7:00 pm
- Tinted Image @ City of Rochester East Ave. & Alexander St. Stage Presented by Rochester General, 7:00 pm