Riding the critical acclaim of her recently released sixth disc as a leader (and first on Concord Records) Anthem for a New Day (affiliate link), pianist Helen Sung is returning to Exodus to Jazz and Rochester this Friday, November 21st at 8:00 pm to once again show us her quite prodigious chops as a pianist, band leader, arranger and writer. Sung will be joined in Rochester by tenor saxophonist John Ellis, drummer Rodney Green, trumpeter Alex Norris and bassist Dave Robaire.
There will be a special treat this time at ETJ. The playlist for the upcoming concert is certain to include Sung's original tune “Brother Thelonious,” written in tribute to Thelonius Monk and commissioned by the presenting sponsor for her concert, North Coast Brewing Co. in California, which has brewed a well-received beer by the same name). I hear that some will be able to sample their wares. Mmmmm beer......
- Venue: Hochstein School of Music, 50 N. Plymouth Ave., Rochester 14614
- Time: 8:00 PM, doors at 7:00 PM qirh two one-hour sets with intermission
- Ticket Prices (Patron and Premium tickets are for specific seats, so buy early!):
- At Brownpapertickets.com—Patron: $40; Premium: $30; Gen. Admission: $25
- At the door—Patron: $43; Premium: $33; Gen. Admission: $28; Student: $15
Here's Helen Sung playing solo at a radio gig for Seattle station KPLU:
And here's how the whole beer thing came about (let's just say that it was made in partnership with the Monk Institute, which gets some of the proceeds of its sales, and Sung is a member of the the Monk Institute's inaugural class):
Hope to see you there!