A little less, a little more ... Live jazz in ROC, January 5-11
Is winter over yet? Of course not, but there is ... Live jazz in ROC, January 19-25

Ice, ice baby, but there is ... Live jazz in ROC, January 12-18

Jazz 1-way sign

It's light this week. Good thing as I'm limited due to a bump on my noggin after a fall on yesterday's ice and staring at the computer screen is no fun. By the way, last week I was too optimistic about the transition of ownership of the Pythodd Jazz Room in Charlotte being sold. Since then I've heard that the space is probably going to become a Mexican restaurant and likely will not be presenting jazz.  Oh well... like I said then, perhaps more about this later... Let me know if you've heard differently.

Would you like to see a more vibrant jazz community for live jazz here in Rochester?  I'm trying to build one here so give me a hand. I'd love it if you'd share this site with friends and family who are similarly inclined. They can find out all the ways to get you some JazzRochester goodness by checking my post laying it out for you.  I'd like to call your attention to my pretty new sharing buttons that are floating on the left of your screen. Please share the blog on your favorite platform with those buttons, or share a particular post with the buttons at the bottom of the post.

As always, let me know if any gigs below are no longer happening, if I got something wrong wrong, or if you have heard of something that's not in these listings so I can add it.

Thursday, January 12, 2017

• Bob Sneider Trio @ Jazz at Washington Square, First Universalist Church, 12:15 pm
  • Jon Seiger & the All-Stars @ Market Cafe at Wegmans (Calkins Road), 5:30 pm
  • The Swooners @ Woodcliff Hotel & Spa (Perinton), 5:30 pm
  • The Joe Santora Trio @ Michael's Valley Grill, call for time

Friday, January 13, 2017

• Paradigm Shift @ Brass Bar & Lounge, 5:00 pm
  • Jive Street Five @ Monroe's Restaurant (Pittsford), 7:00 pm
  • B-Free @ Lemoncello, 7:00 pm
  • Alan Murphy Trio @ Woodcliff Hotel & Spa (Perinton), 7:30 pm
  • Fred Costello & Roger Eckers Jazz Duo @ Charley Brown's (Penfield), 7:30 pm

Saturday, January 14, 2017

• Greg Wachala @ Lock 32 (Pittsford), 2:00 pm
  • Bob Vosteen & Mel Henderson Duo @ Basket Factory, Middleport, 6:00 pm
  • Fred Costello & Roger Eckers Jazz Duo @ Charley Brown's (Penfield), 7:30 pm
  • Special Blend @ Woodcliff Hotel & Spa (Perinton), 7:30 pm
  • Late Night Jazz Jam hosted by Curtis Kendrick, Joe Santora & Terrance Bruce @ Michael's Valley Grill, 11:15 pm

Sunday, January 15, 2017

• Bill Slater @ Woodcliff Hotel & Spa (Perinton), 11:00 am

Monday, January 16, 2017

• Flower City Jazz Society presents the Smugtown Stompers with Carol Mulligan @ Radisson Hotel (Airport), 175 Jefferson Road, 6:30pm (more info, PDF)
  • Bossa Nova Bradley Brothers @ The Little Theatre Cafe, 7:00 pm

Tuesday, January 17, 2017

• Alan Murphy Trio @ Woodcliff Hotel & Spa (Perinton), 5:30 pm
  • Bop Shop Records and Bop Arts present the Jake Wark Trio @ Bop Shop Records, 8:00 pm

Wednesday, January 18, 2017

• Hanna PK @ The Little Theatre Cafe, 7:00 pm

Heads Up ... Look for these Jazz Gigs and Special Jazz Events in the Future

• Bop Shop Records and Geva Theatre Center present Cabaret artist Marissa Mulder @ Geva Theatre Center, Friday, January 20th (Marilyn in Fragments), 7:30 pm & Saturday, January 21st (Tom...In His Own Words: The Music of Tom Waits), 8:00 pm
  • Bop Arts presents The Ethnic Heritage Ensemble @ Lovin Cup Bistro & Brews, Sunday, January 22nd, 7:30 pm
  • Christian McBride and Edgar Meyer @ Bailey Hall, Cornell University, Friday, February 3rd, 8:00 pm
  • Penfield graduate, Andrés Patrick Forero (drummer for Hamilton: An American Musical) headlines the 47th Annual Penfield Jazz Fundraiser Concerts @ Penfield High School Auditorium, 25 High School Drive, Friday, February 3rd & Saturday, February 4th, 7:30 pm (more info)
  • Bop Shop Records and Bop Arts present Old Growth Forest @ Bop Shop Records, Monday, February 6th, 8:00 pm
  • Nick Finzer’s Hear & Now @ Lovin Cup Bistro & Brews, Sunday, February 12th, 6:00 pm added image
  • Bop Shop Records and Bop Arts present Mostly Other People Do the Killing @ Bop Shop Records, Sunday, February 26th, 8:00 pm
  • Fourplay @ Buffalo State College, Rockwell Hall, Thursday, March 30th, 8:00 pm

We've compiled these listings from information obtained from our own knowledge of the jazz scene in and around Rochester, the performing artists themselves and other sources. The aim is to give you a one-stop place to find all your live jazz in and around Rochester. Click on the links (underlined words or phrases) where available in the post for more information on the gig.  Only start times are listed, so visit or call the venue for more details (the websites for many of the venues are in the right panel).  Check back as I will add any gigs I hear about after publication. Look for the added image  graphic next to the listing. Lastly, please forgive me where my listings prove to be wrong, I rely on you, the venues and the artists to let me know when I'm wrong, so don't hesitate to let us know about such departures from reality if you can by clicking on the Contact Us link above.

This post was originally published on JazzRochester.

Comments

Michael's Valley Grill has terminated its Saturday Night Jam session

Thanks for letting me know. Is Santora still playing?

The comments to this entry are closed.