Jazz lives in Rochester, New York. Downtown Rochester hosts the Rochester International Jazz Festival in late June, which due to its intriguing programming and innovative use of indoor and outdoor venues, is quickly becoming one of the great jazz festivals in the United States and a place top line jazz artists want to play. You can hear live jazz in concert halls and a few clubs in and around the city, and a number of local restaurants also present jazz regularly. In addition, all of the jazz faculty and students from the Eastman School of Music and other educational institutions in the Rochester area are a fertile ground and seed for growing jazz and live music in the community. This blog started as an attempt to tie all that together. It’s never hard to find, but there’s still a lot of work to be done to get this music heard more, especially in the city. I have been publishing JazzRochester in one form or another since 2005 in an effort to do some of that work. The blog will always be a work in progress, but my aim is to to do the following:
- Provide listings for upcoming live jazz here in and around the Rochester metropolitan area (extending sometimes West to Buffalo and East to Syracuse). Right now, I publish this listings post on Wednesday evenings, covering the next day through the following Wednesday.
- Provide coverage before, during and after the Rochester International Jazz Festival.
- Provide links to other blogs, websites, and other information about jazz music and artists, both in Rochester and throughout the world.
- Hook readers up with selected CDs from Rochester jazz artists and groups.
- Make the content of JazzRochester available to you in the way you want it by making it (and sometimes additional content) available on Facebook, Twitter, RSS and other ways.
- Promote local jazz concerts, promotions and venues that present live jazz.
- Advocate for increased opportunities to hear live jazz (and other music) in Rochester.
- Make connections between the various jazz communities in Rochester and its environs.
With my busy life, I don’t get out to hear live jazz and other music as much as I’d like, but I love the music and don’t want the scene to die here. I hope that you will provide me with feedback on where I’m going or what I’ve written. Just click on the comment link to a post or send me an email. Hope to meet you out at a club or at the Rochester International Jazz Festival some day. If you see me, come up and say hello!
You can get your JazzRochester in a number of ways. Take a look at the most recent post on how.
© 2006-2020, Gregory V. Bell, except for material used with permission or where copyright is acknowledged (I will attempt to acknowledge the copyright or photo credits of others where that information is available, and will use such images and logos only in promoting the subjects thereof). Please let us know if you object to my use of any image or mark and I will address your concerns as quickly as possible.
You can reach JazzRochester by U.S. mail:
c/o Gregory V. Bell
P.O. Box 10165
Rochester, NY 14610-0165
Links: This blog includes links to other blogs and sites that have been created and are operated by third parties. These links are provided to you as a means of convenient access to the information and other material contained within them. We are in no way responsible for the content on the sites to which I link or its accuracy.
JazzRochester may receive commissions when you click certain links resulting in purchases from affiliates of JazzRochester (for example, for certain ticket links). We will disclose that in a way directly connected to each link where JazzRochester will receive any compensation, in money or in-kind, should you make a purchase through the link.
Listings: I try to be as accurate as possible, but due to the nature of live music, musicians, booking agents, and clubs and restaurants, the dates, times, locations and other details for events highlighted in this blogs pages are subject to change. Believe it or not, I even occasionally make mistakes! I can correct errors or add missing listings, so let me know when there's a problem. When I find out in time, I will try to amend a post with new or corrected information (for new material, look for the "Added" icon). You should always check the information for yourself before heading out for a gig. I link to many of the venues to help you do that.
Comment Policy: JazzRochester's comment policy is pretty straightforward (I'm going to refrain from being a lawyer here, even though I am...). In general, to encourage conversation, I've allowed comments to be posted automatically but will get immediate notification of comments. We're trying to create a conversation here with substantive information, links, insights, humorous anecdotes and relevant personal experiences. To that end, I may unpublish any comment that, in my sole opinion:
- Is off topic.
- Engages in a personal attack.
- Is racist, homophobic, or otherwise focused on hatred or discrimination.
- Is unnecessarily profane or vulgar (realizing that it is sometime essential to get a point across).
- Is inflammatory (no flame wars).
- Is aimed at promoting an individual, product or service not relevant to the post or this site.
- Provides a URL to a weblog or site that is not relevant to the post or this site.
Repeated attempts to post such comments may result in being banned from commenting. Let's just have a great conversation about jazz and live music in and around Rochester, OK? Thanks.